3 Healthy Dinner Ideas for Cold Winter Evenings
Cold winter evenings call for indulging in heart-warming dishes which give you all the cosy winter feels. It may be tempting to go for unhealthy options as these are often deemed comforting. But it doesn’t have to be so. With these flavourful healthy recipes below, you’ll want to be relishing in them all year long!
Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Soups are always a winter favourite and a major part of Malta’s culture. On those evenings when you’ll find yourself fancying something different from minestra, kusksu or brodu, give another tasty soup a try. Easy-to-prepare, vegan and super creamy, this roasted cauliflower soup is the perfect weeknight dinner.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 large head cauliflower (de-stemmed and florets broken up)
- 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cloves garlic (smashed with skins still on)
- ½ large onion
- 2-3 sprigs thyme (stems removed)
- 4 ½ cups vegetable broth
Baked Pumpkin Mac and Cheese
Last autumn, we brought you some of the tastiest pumpkin recipes out there. Pumpkin is so scrumptious and can be added to so many recipes that we’re back with yet another pumpkin recipe.
While the traditional Mac and Cheese is high in calories and full of fat, this next recipe gives the ultimate comfort food a healthier, sweeter as well as a vegan twist. Cheese lovers rejoice!
Ingredients (portion for one frying pan):
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 cups unsweetened Soy Milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
- ½ large onion (finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 2 ½ cups of three types of shredded vegan cheese (divided)
- ½ cup pumpkin purée
- Parsley (to decorate)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted vegan butter (melted) or olive oil
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
Aubergine and Potato Pie
Healthy is more than just green salads which leave you wanting for more. Even your pie cravings can be satisfied with healthy options! In fact, this last recipe brings together the tantalising taste of aubergines with the soft texture of potatoes in one mouth-watering pie and to top it off, an exotic hint of curry. Doesn’t this sound like the perfect healthy yet fulfilling dinner?
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 kg potato (peeled and cut into 3cm chunks)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 large garlic cloves (crushed)
- 2 medium aubergines (cut into 3cm chunks)
- 1 tablespoon medium curry powder
- 400g can chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 410g can green lentil (drained)
And that’s how you bring out the fun side of eating clean and healthy. Apart from satiating your taste buds, such recipes will also be protecting your body from illness with the numerous vitamins and nutrients their ingredients are filled with. But for those days when you’re feeling under the weather, make sure you’re covered with Health Insurance from Laferla. Get a free online quote today!