COVID-19 (Corona Virus) Information
16th March 2020 – 17:00
❗️ COVID-19 / Notice to Customers ❗️
In the interest of minimising community spread of the COVID-19 virus, and for the well-being of our team, Laferla is currently working behind closed doors until further notice.
We remind you that our online services at https://www.laferla.com.mt include the facility to purchase new insurance policies, as well as renew all of your insurance policies (including business insurance policies).
If you require information which is not available through our website, please contact us as follows:
- Health Insurance: +356 2124 6340 / [email protected]
- Motor Insurance Underwriting (New Policies & Renewals): +356 2122 4405 / [email protected]
- Motor Insurance Claims: +356 2123 0525 / [email protected]
- Other Insurance Lines: +356 2124 0828 / [email protected]
If your account with us is serviced through a Tied Insurance Intermediary, you may obtain their contact details from our website: https://www.laferla.com.mt/about-us#tied_insurance_intermediaries
We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Important Insurance Policy information relating to COVID-19
1. Important changes to your active Travel Insurance Policy or active Travel Open Cover Section
Kindly note that your travel policy and/or your travel open cover section under your policy is being endorsed as follows:
COVID-19: Specific Exclusion – this exclusion applies for trips booked on and after the 10th March 2020.
Section 1 – Cancellation & Abandonment
We will not pay any claim/s under Section 1 – Cancellation & Abandonment arising from any travel to countries/areas included in the L.N. 42 of 2020 – Travel ban order, 2020 or any other order issued accordingly by the Maltese Government and/or the Superintendence of Public Health. This exclusion also applies to travel itineraries which include these countries/areas.
Section 2 – Emergency Medical & Associated Expenses and Hospital Benefit
We will not pay any claim/s under Section 2 – Emergency Medical & Associated Expenses and Hospital Benefit for costs related to COVID-19 arising from any travel to countries/areas included in the L.N. 42 of 2020 – Travel ban order, 2020 or any other order issued accordingly by the Maltese Government and/or the Superintendence of Public Health. This exclusion also applies to travel itineraries which include these countries/areas.
This above exclusion applies to the following products:
- Travel Open Cover;
- Travel Annual Cover Section under the Max Protect policy;
- Travel Open Cover Section under the SME policy.
2. What’s covered under the Travel Policy?
Policies taken out and/or trips booked before 10th March 2020
If the Government of Malta issues an official travel ban to your travel destination (refer to L.N. 42 of 2020 – Travel ban order, 2020), then you are eligible to claim under Section 1 – Cancellation & Abandonment of your policy. If no travel ban has been enforced and your airline has cancelled your flight, you should seek compensation form the airline.
If you are currently in a country or area affected by COVID-19, then you are eligible to claim:
- under Section 1 – Cancellation & Abandonment if your trip is necessarily extended due to an insured event;
- under Section 2 – Emergency Medical and Associated Expenses and Hospital Benefit in case you incur any medical expenses.
Policies taken out and/or trips booked on or after 10th March 2020
If you travel to countries included in the Government Restriction related to COVID-19 (refer to L.N. 42 of 2020 – Travel ban order, 2020), the policy will not cover any claims for:
- trip cancellation or abandonment;
- medical and/or associated expenses related to COVID-19.
This also applies to travel itineraries which include these affected countries/areas.
3. Lodging an Insurance Claim
If you would like to lodge a travel claim, we encourage you to do this electronically either by completing and returning a claim form to [email protected].
The following supporting documentation is required:
- Receipts regarding pre-paid expenses;
- Airline tickets, hotel vouchers and other relevant tickets (e.g. concert tickets) being claims;
- Booking conditions including cancellation conditions and amounts to be paid;
- Confirmation form travel agent/carries (e.g. Air Malta, Virtu Ferries) whether any refund is due on amounts paid.
We reserve the right to request any additional information and/or documentation as deemed necessary.